Comfort is one call away: 205.488.4714
Cooling comfort is one call away: (205) 488-4714
Hours available each day
Years in operation
Heating & Air Customers
Services We Perform:
- Air conditioning installation
- Air conditioning repair
- Heating & furnace installation
- Heating & furnace repair
- Indoor air quality
- Air duct cleaning
- Preferred maintenance plan
Maintenance & Repair Services:
- Heating and air conditioning
- Heat pumps
- Package systems
- Gas furnaces
- Electronic air cleaners
- High efficiency media filters
- UV lights
- Commercial exhaust hoods
- Commercial coolers
- Commercial freezers
- Portable freezers and coolers
- Whole house humidifiers and dehumidifiers
10 Summer Energy-Saving Tips
We’re in the middle of yet another scorching Birmingham, Alabama summer!
Check out these energy-saving tips to help keep the heat out and the cool in (and the money in the wallet).
- Keep up your AC unit maintenance and tuning.
- Keep furniture and other obstacles away from your air vents to allow them to blow as freely as possible.
- Keep windows and blinds closed when possible during the day. Use ceiling fans to stay a little cooler.
- Turn up your thermostat when you leave the house to save on cooling. Try setting it to around 85 when you step out the door.
- Instead of firing up the oven, try using smaller appliances like toaster ovens and microwaves.
- To make your clothes dryer more efficient, remove the lint from the filter as often as possible.
- Wash clothes in cold water as much as possible.
- Check your air filters regularly and change out as needed.
- Clean out and turn off any extra refrigerators or freezers.
- Unplug any unused electronics, appliances, and power strips.
- Set the water heater to 120 degrees.
- Air dry your dishes instead of drying them with the dishwasher.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the AC and cooling experts at Service Tech.
Here’s something you may have overlooked when thinking of ways to save money on your cooling this summer.
We’re in the thick of the hot Alabama summer. Your air conditioner unit is probably running full blast and your power bill is more than likely at its high point of the year. You might be thinking of ways to save on your bill and improve cooling efficiency in your house.
Maintenance of your AC unit is of course of utmost importance, as is making sure your air filters are swapped out as needed.
Have you thought about your attic access stairs? This is something that you may have missed when formulating your summer cooling maintenance checklist.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy:
“In many homes, poorly insulated and leaky attic access stairs provide an opportunity to improve comfort and save energy and money. You can air seal and insulate the attic stairs opening by building your own insulated cover box or purchasing a kit or pre-built box. Treat the attic stairs access as you would an opening to the outdoors. Regardless of the type of insulation you use for your attic access, it is important to thoroughly air seal the opening.”
If you’re handy (or if someone in your household is), head to the U.S. Departmen of Energy’s website for a shopping list and step-by-step guide to creating your own attic stairs cover box:
You can also find more do-it-yourself projects here:
If you need assistance or advice, please don’t hesitate to contact your friends at Service Tech.
Does your A/C keep tripping your circuit breaker?
If your circuit breaker is constantly tripping, and you’ve determined the culprit is your air conditioner, you need to find out what’s going on.
The circuit breaker defends your equipment from overcurrents and prevents fires. Don’t keep resetting the breaker and walking away.
Here are some common causes for your AC unit tripping the breaker.
- The motor is having an issue. The motor in your air conditioner unit can really work overtime in the brutal Alabama summers. The motor shorting out can definitely cause a breaker trip.
- The compressor is having an issue. The compressor is the heart of your AC system. If it’s having an issue, you’ll need to get it looked at as soon as possible. It might be having trouble getting started or it might be grounded.
- Dirty air filter or outside unit. Have you had a maintenance check or cleaning lately? Also, are you keeping up with your air filter? Be sure to check it regularly. Check out Service Tech’s tips on maintaining your air filters below.
If you have questions about your AC unit, contact your friends at Service Tech today. We’d be happy to help.
“When should I change my air filter?”
Good question. Everyone is aware of the necessity to change out the air filters in their home.
But, how often does one need to?
There are several factors involved in determining the optimal time, including the following:
- Are there any smokers in the house?
- Do you have cats, dogs, or other pets?
- What is the air quality in your city?
- The type and quality of your filter
- Does anyone in the house suffer from allergies?
If your household consists of pets and/or smoker, and if your area has lots of dust and allergens, we recommend replacing your filters every 30 days.
The longest interval recommended would be 90 days for those with regular filters. Please note: specialty filters may have their own specific guidelines. Please follow those.
If you have any questions, why not reach out to the experts at Service Tech?
We’ll be happy to answer your questions!
Give us a call today at
or fill out the form in our Contact page.
Have a dusty home? Want to cut down on those layers of dust that seem to appear only days after you’ve wiped them away? Dust is not only an annoyance, it can be indicative of poor indoor air quality in your home. And, indoor air quality has been announced as one of...read more
Are you buying a new home? If so, you may have forgotten to ask some important questions about the air conditioner. Be sure to follow up on these issues so you don’t end up inheriting a problematic or faulty system. How old is the system? Newer systems are more...read more
The Better Business Bureau’s tagline is Start With Trust. We at Service Tech share a similar philosophy. We treat each customer with honesty and respect. As a homegrown Alabama local business serving residential and commercial clients since 1989, we understand our...read more
Follow Service Tech, Inc. to stay up-to-date on heating and cooling service specials: